Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Final" Choices

Alot has changed in the few days since I last wrote. My mom never woke up. But she slept peacefully as she went to see her family on the other side of the veil. I was able to be with her, a choice that I made, and it was one of the sweetest experience I have had. I knew my brother Craig, who passed away several years ago, was in the room waiting for mom. So I wispered in my moms ear that we would be ok, we would miss her, but it was ok for her to go get that big bear hug that my brother was so famous for. Minutes later she peacefully left this earth. Her final choice, and I know there is a big dance going on in heaven right now to welcome her home.
But with her choice to leave us, we who are left behind have had to make some choices and some have been hard. Planning her memorial has been a bit hard for me because she was such a great person to me. I want her to be remembered for all the things she did for others while on this earth and it is just hard to do her memory justice.
We have had to make the choice of where to hold the service. Myself I think I would have liked the Chapel but I needed to make sure that all my family felt comfortable so we have decided to have the service at the funeral home and the dinner after at the chapel. I think that choice is the best option.
Now what do we do for the service itself. Do we have the bishop conduct, but we decided that we wanted it to be about mom. So we are going to have a slide show, and then just talk about mom and remember her and what she meant to those around her.
I have been able to go through pictures with my sisters and it has been fun to see all the different sides of my mother. See her from her humble beginnings, raising her family, and enjoying her grandchildren.
I hope the choices I am making to honor my mom, will please her, because I know she will be watching. She is not one to miss a party.

1 comment:

  1. The service was beautiful, just like Grandma. I could feel her smiling down on us all day. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete